Grain-Free, Vegan, Spiced Apple Zucchini Pie Breakfast Bowl
I'm exploring the Whole30 principles and have temporarily eliminated grains and substitutions of any kind at the moment. That means no warm oatmeal or quinoa breakfast bowls. So I thought of what I could dish up that's plant-based, clean, whole-food as a sweet sub to a comforting bowl of porridge on a winter day.
This is a wonderful substitution that tastes like the center of an apple pie. Only takes minutes to make on stove top, and I punched up nutrient density (and reduced amount of fruit) by sneaking in zucchini, which cooks soft and soaks up the sweet flavor from the apple. You can enjoy this as a breakfast bowl just like I did, or enjoy for a wonderful dessert. Don't limit yourself to the fruit and nut combination I have here, I think almost any stone, seed or tree fruit would stew wonderfully with any raw, crushed nut or seed.
Whole30, Grain-Free, Spiced Apple Pie Breakfast Bowl
by Sarah Farsh December 23, 2020
- 1/2 an apple, cubbed (I used Pink Lady, Gala, Honeycrisp or your favorite seeded or stone fruit will work!)
- 1/2 a zucchini, cubbed (I used the ends of zucchinis that I had left over from zoodles that I just carved)
- 1 tbsp chopped raw, unsalted nuts (I used a mix of walnuts and Brazil nuts)
- 1 tsp goji berries (or raisins, currents, or chopped unsweetened dried fruit like mango slices)
- 1/2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes (optional, to top with)
- 1 tsp good cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- splash of water (about 2-3 tbsp)
- topping: 1/4 of a banana (sliced), more crushed nuts, coconut flakes and goji berries
Warm cubbed apples and zucchini over a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add cinnamon, vanilla, goji berries and dry sauté to mix spice into fruit. Add splash of water to lightly stew and soften fruit and veggie a little more, and simmer until you're satisfied with softness. Poor into bowl, top with fresh sliced bananas, sprinkle of nuts/seeds and more goji berries. Enjoy!